Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Revenant wings review dunno if its decent or not

5 posters

Go down

Revenant wings review dunno if its decent or not Empty Revenant wings review dunno if its decent or not

Post  Matty Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:42 pm

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings

Format: Nintendo DS Publisher: Square Enix Ltd Developer: Square Enix Ltd. Genre: Tactical RPG

Final Fantasy 12: Revenant Wings is one of the newest additions to the final fantasy family and a sequel to the original playstation 2 based Final Fantasy 12. Revenant Wings sees all the original characters lives 2 years after the war that took place in the original the focus is based upon the two characters Vaan and Penelo and their adventures on the mysterious sky continent of Lemures.
The games prologue sets the scene for the rest of the game as the group of sky pirates enter the resting place of the valuable and mysterious treasure ‘the cache of glabados’. After attaining this treasure the main storyline starts as you controlling the fledgling sky pirate Vaan and his friends from their hometown rabanastre. Vaan is currently looking for a ship and when a mysterious abandoned ship comes crashing down from the heavens he can’t resist the temptation and so the adventure begins.
New playable characters available to the game will interest people who have played the original characters who were inaccessible as players but available as npc’s such as Kytes Filo and Ba’gamnan in the last game are now main characters there is also a new character called Llyud who is a native of the sky continent who is curious of the people from the world below referred to his people as ‘the underworld’
The new battle system unique within the series makes perfect use of the DS’s touch screen feature, which is used frequently throughout the game. The touch screen is used to control troop movements on the battlefield and to choose when and where to use the characters special abilities the controls are relatively easy to master and you will find it very useful later on in the game when you are able to control more and more troops.

Revenant wings review dunno if its decent or not Final-10
Revenant wings review dunno if its decent or not Final-13

The game also makes use its predecessors gambit system, which allows the user to select a character ability that they will use automatically when it is ready. This must be used with caution though as the ability could become unavailable to you when you most need it if your character has this ability as a gambit.
The monsters you will face in the game work on a rock paper scissors basis as you get three types of monster and character these consist of flying type monsters, melee type monsters, and ranged type monsters these all have strengths and weaknesses towards each other. Melee is able to defeat ranged type, Ranged are able to defeat flying type and flying are able to defeat melee type. This of course depends on the level of the creatures in question. Another feature that affects combat is the elemental status of the enemy. This means that each creature is assigned an elemental nature consisting of Fire, Water, Lightning, Earth, Healing and None. Each of these have a resistance and a weakness towards others enhancing the damage done or taken by the creature this enhances the tactical aspect of the game making the user think twice before taking fire element troops to a glacier.
A popular addition to recent DS games is an online feature-allowing user to play together trade in-game items or even just pass messages. However any of these features have not been added to the game I think this is a good decision as the storyline of the game wouldn’t follow you being able to send messages to another Vaan on another DS if you were to look for a way to message people in a final fantasy game I would suggest you look at the newly re-designed Final Fantasy 3 which is already a DS title.
I give this game 90% for a great new storyline with all the necessary twists and turns to keep you interested and also for a great new way of controlling your characters and playing the game. The only bad point I’ve found is that to truly understand the game and the characters you need to have played the original final fantasy 12.
Thanks for reading.
Matty
Matty

Male Number of posts : 22
Achievement Points :
Revenant wings review dunno if its decent or not Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100Revenant wings review dunno if its decent or not Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-04-15

Back to top Go down

Revenant wings review dunno if its decent or not Empty Re: Revenant wings review dunno if its decent or not

Post  Matty Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:43 pm

may need to sort images lol

give some feedback
Matty
Matty

Achievement Points :
Revenant wings review dunno if its decent or not Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100Revenant wings review dunno if its decent or not Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Revenant wings review dunno if its decent or not Empty Re: Revenant wings review dunno if its decent or not

Post  Hodgie Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:10 pm

I'm very happy with how this turned out Matthew! Thanks a lot! Very Happy
I'll touch up a few errors but there isn't many. I have to say that it needs to be a little longer. Maybe mention those in-game cut scenes? The way the character gain levels etc, and give a few examples of how well designed the levels/dungeons are.
The review should be around 900+ and it's only at 700-/+ at the moment. Still, 2 or 3 paragraphs will sort that out!! Wink
Hodgie
Hodgie
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 93
Achievement Points :
Revenant wings review dunno if its decent or not Left_bar_bleue100 / 100100 / 100Revenant wings review dunno if its decent or not Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-02-02

https://nintendoblog.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ugibah Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:33 pm

You gave this a positive review? Pah.
Square-enix dissapointed fans to see revenant wings was a stratagy game.
Ugibah
Ugibah
V.I.P
V.I.P

Female Number of posts : 10
Achievement Points :
Revenant wings review dunno if its decent or not Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Revenant wings review dunno if its decent or not Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post  Matty Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:17 pm

i think its a good use of the ds to have revenant wings as a strategy as the graphical capabilities wouldnt do the rest of the ff series justice with an rts style the charachters in battle dont have to have as good visuals as the rest of the series
Matty
Matty

Achievement Points :

Back to top Go down

Revenant wings review dunno if its decent or not Empty version 2 hope you like it no images

Post  Matty Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:30 am

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings

Format: Nintendo DS Publisher: Square Enix Ltd Developer: Square Enix Ltd. Genre: Tactical RPG

Final Fantasy 12: Revenant Wings is one of the newest additions to the final fantasy family and a sequel to the original playstation 2 based Final Fantasy 12. Revenant Wings sees all the original characters lives 2 years after the war that took place in the original the focus is based upon the two characters Vaan and Penelo and their adventures on the mysterious sky continent of Lemures.
The games prologue sets the scene for the rest of the game as the group of sky pirates enter the resting place of the valuable and mysterious treasure ‘the cache of glabados’. After attaining this treasure the main storyline starts as you controlling the fledgling sky pirate Vaan and his friends from their hometown rabanastre. Vaan is currently looking for a ship and when a mysterious abandoned ship comes crashing down from the heavens he can’t resist the temptation and so the adventure begins.

New playable characters available to the game will interest people who have played the original characters who were inaccessible as players but available as npc’s such as Kytes Filo and Ba’gamnan in the last game are now main characters there is also a new character called Llyud who is a native of the sky continent who is curious of the people from the world below referred to his people as ‘the underworld’.
The new battle system unique within the series makes perfect use of the DS’s touch screen feature, which is used frequently throughout the game. The touch screen is used to control troop movements on the battlefield and to choose when and where to use the characters special abilities the controls are relatively easy to master and you will find it very useful later on in the game when you are able to control more and more troops.

The game also makes use of its predecessors gambit system, which allows the user to select a character ability that they will use automatically when it is ready. This must be used with caution though as the ability could become unavailable to you when you most need it if your character has this ability as a gambit. Gambits and abilities are gained as the character gains levels the levelling system is pretty simple. The more enemies you kill during a mission the more experience points you get these experience point are counted at the end of the mission and added onto your characters total, if your character has gained enough experience then he/she will gain a level increasing the hit point of that character and certain attributes such as strength and agility.

The monsters you will face in the game work on a rock paper scissors basis as you get three types of monster and character these consist of flying type monsters, melee type monsters, and ranged type monsters these all have strengths and weaknesses towards each other. Melee is able to defeat ranged type, Ranged are able to defeat flying type and flying are able to defeat melee type. This of course depends on the level of the creatures in question. Another feature that affects combat is the elemental status of the enemy. This means that each creature is assigned an elemental nature consisting of Fire, Water, Lightning, Earth, Healing and None. Each of these have a resistance and a weakness towards others enhancing the damage done or taken by the creature this enhances the tactical aspect of the game making the user think twice before taking fire element troops to a glacier.

Each battlefield is unique within the game unless you choose to revisit a certain one to gain more experience or obtain items you may have missed out on this enhances the tactical aspect of the game as the player will have to devise a way of defeating the enemies on this terrain as you may need to find a quick route to avoid being killed by ranged troops perched atop of the valley you are travelling through or you may need to bring strong melee troops as you may need to fight your way through hordes of advancing enemies to reach your goal with no points to revive your characters or summon more troops. This makes the game more interesting so the player will have to take his time and think instead of rushing in unprepared.

A popular addition to recent DS games is an online feature-allowing user to play together trade in-game items or even just pass messages. However any of these features have not been added to the game I think this is a good decision as the storyline of the game wouldn’t follow you being able to send messages to another Vaan on another DS if you were to look for a way to message people in a final fantasy game I would suggest you look at the newly re-designed Final Fantasy 3 which is already a DS title.
Also to be noted is the great graphics on the in-game movies it is disappointing that it cant be this good throughout the rest of the game but these are the constraints of the handheld game consoles considering these constraints I think that the game has done well to immerse gamers into the storyline by using these movies to allow the player to see the characters as they are in a more real sense making the game world more believable and real.
I give this game 90% for a great new storyline with all the necessary twists and turns to keep you interested and also for a great new way of controlling your characters and playing the game. The only bad point I’ve found is that to truly understand the game and the characters you need to have played the original final fantasy 12.
Thanks for reading.
Matty
Matty

Achievement Points :

Back to top Go down

Post  Hodgie Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:02 am

Thanks a lot Matty! This review is a lot better now. I've touched up a few problems, such as your phobia of full stops and I've saved the final copy to my computer. Very Happy
Tomorrow I will upload this to the site, along with Ugibah's SMB3 review and (Possibly) Thatch's Red Steel review.
You've all been so much help!
Hodgie
Hodgie
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 93
Achievement Points :
Revenant wings review dunno if its decent or not Left_bar_bleue100 / 100100 / 100Revenant wings review dunno if its decent or not Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-02-02

https://nintendoblog.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:27 am

I like the review and because I have the game I can agree with most of the stuff you have put in the review. Nice one
Chris
Chris

Male Number of posts : 75
Achievement Points :
Revenant wings review dunno if its decent or not Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Revenant wings review dunno if its decent or not Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Thatch Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:22 pm

Hodgie wrote: Tomorrow I will upload this to the site, along with Ugibah's SMB3 review and (Possibly) Thatch's Red Steel review.
You've all been so much help!

I lol'd. I like how you slipped that in there *glares* Razz
Thatch
Thatch

Male Number of posts : 54
Achievement Points :
Revenant wings review dunno if its decent or not Left_bar_bleue80 / 10080 / 100Revenant wings review dunno if its decent or not Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down