Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mario Kart Wii Discussion Thread *56k*

+2
Cpt. Dom
Thatch
6 posters

Go down

Mario Kart Wii Discussion Thread *56k* Empty Mario Kart Wii Discussion Thread *56k*

Post  Thatch Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:34 pm

Mario Kart Wii Discussion Thread *56k* Mario_10

"Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines!"
The words of Reggie Fils-Aime, president of Nintendo Of America (NOA) at Nintendo's E3 2007 conference.
Mario Kart Wii has always been expected, since the franchise has been going since the SNES days, along with Mario Tennis (which i could put a big bet on coming to wii, eventually).

For those who don't know, Mario Kart is all about sticking the Super Mario All-Stars into a racing game and making them battle out against each other, with a variety of weapons. If you've played Mario Kart DS before, you'll know pretty much how this game is going to be.

MKW is a treat for those old and new to the franchise. Old, with the game using loads of courses from previous games, and also supporting a variety of different control methods, including using a Gamecube controller for those Mario Kart veterans.
New, because MKW introduces a whole new way to play with the new Wii Wheel, a simple yet affective way of making the experience far greater. You simply push the Wiimote horizontally into the wheel, and slot the wrist-strap through the hole at the back. What about the B button, you say? There is a button at the back of the wheel that when you press, in turn presses the B button itself. Other ways to control your kart include using the Wiimote + Nunchuk, or using the Classic Controller.

Mario Kart Wii Discussion Thread *56k* 160068-1-1

Though Mario Kart adds more extra features to the game. One is the simple, yet awesome stunt system. When your kart/bike (I'll get onto that later) goes over a ramp, or a boost, or hell, a giant mushroom that bounces you into the air, you simply flick the Wiimote towards you as soon as you leave the ground, and your character does their own little stunt, resulting in a boost at the end.

Another thing MKW introduces to the game is bikes! This was probably the most controversial thing about the game when it was announced, in that Mario "Kart" suggests otherwise. Personally i think bikes are brilliant, and they add some tactics into the game.
In a normal kart, you can drift to get a boost, like MKDS. Though, you can get a blue spark boost and an orange spark boost, orange ones being for a longer boost. With a bike, you can only get a blue spark boost, but players can do wheelies down the straights, which give a slight boost, perfect for taking first place down the last hurdle.

Saving the best until last, MKW also has online! Thats right, you can pitch yourself out against 11 other players worldwide, probably the best thing about the game. You can compare your time trials against other players, and a great thing about the online is that you can join your friends games. Or create a room for them, race them and then tell them how great you are over the message system.

MKW was released on Friday 11th April 2008 and has sold 300,000 copies already! I especially like the fact that it was announced a wee bit later than normal, so it didn't get overhyped, like SSBB.

I've played through this whole game and let me tell you you're in for a treat.
Thatch
Thatch

Male Number of posts : 54
Achievement Points :
Mario Kart Wii Discussion Thread *56k* Left_bar_bleue80 / 10080 / 100Mario Kart Wii Discussion Thread *56k* Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Mario Kart Wii Discussion Thread *56k* Empty Re: Mario Kart Wii Discussion Thread *56k*

Post  Cpt. Dom Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:20 pm

Mario Kart Wii is awesome!! Me and Hodgie have been doing loooooads of Time Trial challenges and sending each other ghost data when we beat it. It's a really fun game. Very Happy

Cpt. Dom

Male Number of posts : 12
Achievement Points :
Mario Kart Wii Discussion Thread *56k* Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Mario Kart Wii Discussion Thread *56k* Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Mario Kart Wii Discussion Thread *56k* Empty Re: Mario Kart Wii Discussion Thread *56k*

Post  sean_t Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:13 am

Absoloutley loving this so far. Was expecting it to be good, but this has blown away my expectations. I love the new tracks, the nice visuals and the seamless online play. I'm well and truly addicted. Very Happy
sean_t
sean_t

Male Number of posts : 33
Achievement Points :
Mario Kart Wii Discussion Thread *56k* Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Mario Kart Wii Discussion Thread *56k* Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Hodgie Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:13 am

sean_t wrote:Absoloutley loving this so far. Was expecting it to be good, but this has blown away my expectations. I love the new tracks, the nice visuals and the seamless online play. I'm well and truly addicted. Very Happy

What a terrible time to become addicted as well Sean! I wasn't planning on buying Mario Kart until after my exams, but because Matty was here, and we didn't have many good multiplayer game, I needed to get it.
It really is fantastic. Online has well and truly got me hooked - I have 500 odd wins and 100 losses already, giving me a score of just over 7000.

By the way guys: this isn't ONM. Post your friend codes EVERYWHERE. Well, in the Friend Code topic I'm about to set up. Very Happy
Hodgie
Hodgie
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 93
Achievement Points :
Mario Kart Wii Discussion Thread *56k* Left_bar_bleue100 / 100100 / 100Mario Kart Wii Discussion Thread *56k* Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-02-02

https://nintendoblog.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:37 am

I do like this game but there are so many other games that I have that I want to play. And with the Brawl review to get done I might only be going on MKW for hour long spurts instead of playing on it for whole evenings. I also have to keep up with GH3 with online with thatch Razz . Sorry for the off topic at the end
Chris
Chris

Male Number of posts : 75
Achievement Points :

Registration date : 2008-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Adamc94 Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:25 am

After a stage of dissapointment about this game i am now fully pleased with it again after unlocking
Spoiler:
... Suck on that Thatch Razz
Adamc94
Adamc94

Male Number of posts : 39
Achievement Points :
Mario Kart Wii Discussion Thread *56k* Left_bar_bleue20 / 10020 / 100Mario Kart Wii Discussion Thread *56k* Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-03-17

http://www.freewebs.com/adamc94

Back to top Go down

Post  Thatch Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:25 pm

Adamc94 wrote:After a stage of dissapointment about this game i am now fully pleased with it again after unlocking
Spoiler:
... Suck on that Thatch Razz

Haha, I still remember you saying "ZOMG IVE UNLOCKED EVERY CHARACTER IN THE GAME", I laughed then...mustve not seen the new list Laughing .

Well i betcha I've unlocked more karts than you, and I've unlocked
Spoiler:
. Still going for
Spoiler:
but I have to study today. *cries*
Thatch
Thatch

Male Number of posts : 54
Achievement Points :
Mario Kart Wii Discussion Thread *56k* Left_bar_bleue80 / 10080 / 100Mario Kart Wii Discussion Thread *56k* Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Hodgie Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:51 pm

Thatch wrote:
Adamc94 wrote:After a stage of dissapointment about this game i am now fully pleased with it again after unlocking Baby Luigi and Funky Kong... Suck on that Thatch Razz

Haha, I still remember you saying "ZOMG IVE UNLOCKED EVERY CHARACTER IN THE GAME", I laughed then...mustve not seen the new list Laughing .

Well i betcha I've unlocked more karts than you, and I've unlocked
Spoiler:
. Still going for
Spoiler:
but I have to study today. *cries*

Thatch! Spoilers!! pale We do have a special spoiler box. Highlight -> Others -> Spoiler. Very Happy
Hodgie
Hodgie
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 93
Achievement Points :
Mario Kart Wii Discussion Thread *56k* Left_bar_bleue100 / 100100 / 100Mario Kart Wii Discussion Thread *56k* Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-02-02

https://nintendoblog.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:14 am

I havent played much on this game because of the sheer amount of great games I want to play on. For some reason MOH has crawled back into my wii and I am thoroughlt enjoying the online. GH3 is requiring a lot of time as I am now stuck on the near end bit of hard. And Brawl well when you read my review it will all become clear.
Chris
Chris

Male Number of posts : 75
Achievement Points :

Registration date : 2008-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post  sean_t Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:30 pm

I have now completed all grand prix cups
Spoiler:
with a gold medal. I've been playing way too much.

Now all i need to unlock is
Spoiler:
sean_t
sean_t

Male Number of posts : 33
Achievement Points :

Registration date : 2008-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down